Friday, March 28, 2014
Another few inches--right side:
I have the painting hanging over the top of the loom, by the way. As I proceed through the tapestry I'll roll up the lower part of of the painting so I keep the inches I'm using as reference for the tapestry in view.
For the cartoon, the line drawing behind the warp, I'm using a couple of sheets of mylar taped together (that join is the more opaque vertical line just to the right of center). The top of the mylar is just about the top of my hanging bar--had to tape paper to the edge of the sheets so that it could hang over the bar and stay in place. I'll add new sheets of mylar once this has been woven, taking this part of the cartoon away.
Usually my cartoon is drawn onto one piece of something (paper or mylar) rather in sections like this will be. But this time I didn't have wide or long enough paper or mylar to use. I first transferred the outlines from the painting onto clear vinyl and intended to use that as the cartoon. But I didn't like that after I tried it at the loom because it was hard to attach to the warp and I also needed something behind the vinyl so I could see the lines more easily. So... back to the mylar.
Posted by Tommye McClure Scanlin at 7:08 AM