I still have a few hours (maybe days?) left for finishing work on this tapestry but have off the loom at last. I photographed it pinned to a panel while still at Hambidge yesterday morning. I looked back at my notes and found that I'd started weaving on the piece in early June, after working to develop the design for a bit over a month. I cut it off, with help from other Hambidge residents, on Friday night, September 19.
All the design struggles I went through to get this piece to the loom I pretty much described here in various places. Several people have mentioned to me that they appreciate my sharing my search for the next tapestry, stumbling along the way as I often do. Bringing thoughts and feelings into visual form isn't easy for me. That others will have different ways to come to the same point is perfectly understandable yet...I can only feel what I feel and do what I do.
As I looked back through the blog, I found that I'd written and shown this piece many, many times over the past three months. Here's just a few of those posts, starting in April when the fiddleheads began showing up in the woods nearby.
My goal for this week is to complete the finishing and to get it to the Blue Ridge Handweaving show. I've learned from someone involved with the show that there will be quite a few tapestry entries this year...great! I love to see tapestry work when and where ever I can.