Friday, May 30, 2014

This time at Lillian Smith Center is ending... back to the real world soon


I have just a few more hours to spend here at the Center.  I'm so grateful to have had the time and space to work in concentration for the past two weeks.

In some ways, I feel like I've gotten a lot done and yet there's still more to do.  I've woven many samples of basic color theory ideas in the past but I've wanted to do more--it's quite interesting and informative to interpret the color studies I've done with paper and with paint into the medium I use--yarn.  And not just yarn but yarn used in weft-faced ways.  Other weaving types give their own unique qualities to color interaction in yarn.  There there's knitting, crocheting, embroidery....


Here's the pile of samples completed since I've been here.  They'll be added to the previous samples I'm taking to the Peters Valley class in a few weeks.

The porch at the Peeler cottage here at the Center has served as my primary studio:


I like working in the natural light while on the porch.  The weather has been good for this... and by later in the afternoon when the typical thunderstorms arrive, I've gone inside to read.  Yesterday's storm was atypical, though!  THUNDER!  LIGHTENING!  HAIL!  I went into the closet for a few minutes until things calmed down!!

But before that storm, here's the loom as I'd gotten as many things completed on it as I reasonably could:


Now, I'll end with a few shots from the morning walks.  It constantly amazes me to look down at a certain time and see something remarkable.  Like just glancing down and finding this fellow one morning:


Then, the next morning... not even looking for him (I presume it's the same fellow), here he (maybe she) was on the moss near the leaf... and, quite luckily I looked down when I did or I would have stepped right on him!


Maybe if I could see the markings on the shell more closely I'd know for sure if he/she is the same one.

One more afternoon of reading, one more morning's walk.  Then back to the real world.

1 comment:

  1. When is your next workshop? I'm a beginner and want to learn the loom!

    ReplyDelete