Saturday, March 4, 2017
Earlier in the week I made a trip to Asheville to have the newest tapestry, Phoenix, photographed at Tim Barnwell's studio.
Here's the result:
Like I'd mentioned in an earlier post, I did make-shift finishing using masking tape to hold back warp ends. I'll use the tapestry during the Penland session as a teaching aid for finishing and preparing a piece for hanging with velcro.
This is the last week of preparations before the Penland class begins! So much to do and so little time remaining--no panic yet (or not much) but my anxiety level is increasing about what I'll really be able to finish before next Saturday.
Yesterday I put together yet another copper pipe loom to add to my stock. I wanted to be sure each of us has a loom that we can use for sampling so I'm taking fourteen along with me as loaners. We'll have both tapestry looms and floor looms going through the next eight weeks.
A couple of other things I want to note here. First, is a new exhibit posted at TEx@ATA. This is American Tapestry Alliance's online gallery showcasing curated exhibitions of contemporary tapestry artists from around the world. I have a small tapestry included in Elements: earth, air, fire, water – an international non-juried exhibition initiated by Jane Freear-Wyld (UK). Here's a link for that.
ATA has also posted a video recently in which I have a tapestry included. The video is found at this link.
Now, back to the Penland Prep!
Posted by Tommye McClure Scanlin at 6:01 PM