I finished weaving the top of the feathers today and by 5 p.m. was completing the half-hitches across the top to secure the weft.
My niece came by around 6 and we cut it off together. Here it is laying out on a sheet on the floor... it will rest here for a day or so before I work on the half-Damascus that I'll use for the warp ends. In the meantime, I'll flip it over and start snipping off the wefts so the ends are about an inch + long. It's hard to photograph right now--this was taken while standing on a chair so it appears to be a shaped tapestry but it's not!
The piece is about 49" wide x 55" long, sett is 8 epi of 12/12 cotton seine twine; the weft is primarily three strands, two of Vevgarn and one of 20/2 worsted. Some embroidery floss and also linen were used in the shafts of the feathers and in the soumak lines in the background. The tapestry was on the loom from November until today--about seven months. I can't say how many hours are in the weaving of this piece but I've woven from one to five hours daily when I've been in town. I've had almost six weeks total of out-of-town activities since November that have kept the tapestry on hold at times. But I'm quite happy to have completed this stage of it.
Studio clean up tomorrow! It's time to sort the yarns used, unwind bobbins, and strip the loom of the remaining cut warp. My next push will be preparations for my Penland class that starts in about five weeks time.