Monday, January 11, 2010
I decided on the design for the kudzu tapestry yesterday--at least the first of what may turn into several tapestries based on these ideas. As I finished the more complex vine drawing I found that it gives me a sense of what I'm hoping to portray--the twining and entanglement with which the plant grows, overwhelming anything in its path.
Because of the vertical dominance of the vines in the drawing I wanted to weave the design turned 90˚ on the loom to achieve as smooth a movement as possible. I also wanted the image to be quite larger than life. Cropping was the next step so that I could find a section of the drawing that still gave me an essence of what I was looking for and also allowed for the enlargement. After trying several crops using Photoshop I decided on this portion from the upper part of the drawing:
Next I placed tracing paper over the cropped and printed version and drew outlines of the major shapes:
This outline was scanned and import into Photoshop where I then resize the line drawing to the dimensions for the cartoon--24" x 48". I set the pixel size at 72 because I don't need anything greater for the outline. I next selected and cropped, then pasted separate sections from the overall drawing into a new blank file, making sure to have the same dimensions for each crop and paste--a size to fit onto an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper...
... then printed each section...
... and assembled the multiple pages with tape. For this design I had 18 separated printed sections that were pieced together a strip at a time and then those strips all taped together.
Next I placed a sheet of Mylar over the assembled line drawing and traced with permanent marker. The Mylar sheet will be stitched to the back of the warp as I weave.
And, yes, I do have boo-boos as I trace! Glaring ones are XX out and I also made some contour changes as the tracing was done. When I weave other changes will happen as well--I want to leave the color and background quite loose to interpretation as I weave.
On the loom, here's the direction the cartoon will be:
Tomorrow's goal is to stitch on the Mylar and begin!
Posted by Tommye McClure Scanlin at 6:38 PM