SO, I thought--OK, now's the time to use this bead weaving and weave a bedazzling frame to surround it! I decided on a pretty simple geometric surround using gold metallic yarn along with a deep red wool into which I wound thin red metallic yarns. The deep, dark red sort of matched the small amount of burgandy in the beading.
My husband, when he saw it last night, said that he felt the contrast of the deep red was too much...he'd rather have seen a slightly different gold to contrast with the gold I used...more like one would actually see in a gilt frame. I like his suggestion--won't work with piece, of course, since it's "history" now. But, that idea is certainly one I'll put in the cooker for the future.
To add the beading I wove to the point where I wanted the bottom edge of the beading to be placed. Then I took the beading threads to the back of the weaving and tied them together around warp threads.
The beading then hung down, upside down and backwards, while I wove the rest of the tapestry up to the point where I added the top of the beading. There I again took the beading thread to the back and tied ends around warp ends. I finished it by weaving the remaining part of the frame over the top.
So the beading is woven into the tapestry. I chose to do the central part of the tapestry, between the frame edges, in a deep blue/purple with a couple of metallic threads included. Although this is seen only a bit at the bottom and top of the bead weaving I wanted it to be a clear visual separation between the frame and beading.
I used a dark blue/purple cotton seine twine warp, sett at 14 epi. The weft was a single gold metallic and three fold of the Shannock wool, along with two strants of tiny metallic thread.
Working on this was quite HARD on the eyes...first, I find it hard to see the up/down of the dark warp. Then, taking the teeny and unruly beading threads through to the back and actually making my fingers work in combination with my eyes to get the darn things tied securely was a challenge!
Anyway, so be it...it's done, except for the special back mounting method needed. I plan to work on that later today and maybe get the piece in the mail to our member who's collecting all the TWS works to ship off to FL.