Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving day...this seems a better time to take stock of things than New Year's Day. So, let me think about what I'm thankful for this year...

I'm thankful for the health and safety of my loved ones; so grateful that the second Iraq tour is over for my nephew. Second, for the kindness, understanding and support of friends and family--those who are near and also those who are distant. Third, for a fine cat who shares his life with us.

I'm also grateful to have had a productive year in both my art making and my teaching--and for the new studio space. I was happy to sit in the yard of the studio yesterday, under the ginkgo tree and to be showered by the glorious yellow leaves as they fell.

I'm very thankful for the rain that came last night...hoping we'll see more of it today. The drought here is very bad and any moisture is so welcome.

We're going to my sister's house for the Thanksgiving feast. My contributions are Mother's famous freezer slaw, applesauce of Yates apples from Noel & Patrick's trees (yummm!), and steamed carrots. These tap the extent of my cooking abilities--I'm sure everyone will be very thankful for all the other goodies that'll be found at Deb's house!!



The year held a major loss, however--the death of my Mother-in-law. She suffered so much pain and so many complications as she completed her journey on earth. Yet, she was a model of compassion for others. She always was interested in everyone--generous, thoughtful and concerned. She was a person of grace and I'm grateful to have known her. Much of what my husband has become as a person was learned from her and I'm very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment