Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I added images of the current tapestry in progress...another fairly large one. This is based on images of black walnut tree, leaves, and bark taken from a large tree in our yard. I began the cartoon when I moved into the Stanton Storehouse studio but didn't finish it until recently--in fact, just after the Campbell class ended. I began weaving the piece about 10 days ago.

The sett is 8 epi, #12/18 cotton seine twine. The weft is Vevgarn, Mailiss and some Victorian tapestry wool used at 2, 3 or 4 fold, depending on the combination, as mentioned before.

I'm reading some from the George Nakashima book, The Soul of a Tree, right now along with other tree-related texts. I'm looking closely at this tree, especially at the bark, as I try to honor it with the weaving.

No comments: